Friday, January 12, 2007

What I have made recently....

I did some puddings, 2 kinds - one sweet and one savoury. For the savoury, it will be the Steamed Dried Prawns Puddings. For the sweet pudding, these were called Java Puddings as stated in this recipe book "Indonesia Delights by Winnie", which I bought during the recent JL sales not long. I did not follow exactly the measurements on both recipes. I modified them instead, on the ingredients as well as methods.






Cooked Red Bean Paste with dumplings for Dh's supper. My paste you can see is not very fine as my blender stopped functioning half way as I was blending the bean *haiz*. Luckily, dh didn't complain *lol*


STEAMED DRIED PRAWN PUDDING
Ingredients:
300g rice flour
5g tapioca flour
3/4tsp salt
2 tbsp oil (*I used corn oil)
1200ml water (* 700ml cool water, 500ml boiling water)

Filling:
100g dried shrimps, soaked, drained & chopped finely
100g fresh grated coconut, stir fried
2 - 3 tbsp chai-poh
3 shallots, finely chopped
3 garlic, finely chopped
2 - 3 tbsp sweet chillie sauce (*I used Lingham's brand)
1/2tsp pepper
some oil

Garnishing:
3 sprigs spring onion, finely chopped
2 red chilli, finely chopped
some roasted sesame seeds

Method:
(1) Heat up some oil in a pan. Saute the shallots and garlic. Add dried shrimps, chai-poh and stir fry till fragrant. Add grated coconut. Season with sweet chillie sauce and pepper. Set aside.
Note: for seasoning, pls adjust accordingly to suit your taste.
(2) Sift rice flour,, tapioca flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Add 700ml of cool water and stir well into a batter. Next, stir in quickly 500ml of the boiling water and mix well.
(3) Cook the batter in a pot over low heat. Keep stirring to prevent the batter from sticking to the bottom till it thicken.
(4) Pour batter into greased small cups. Steam over high heat for about 20 mins or till cooked.
(5) Serve cooked puddings with the filling in (1) and garnish with finely chopped spring onions, chilli and roasted sesame seeds.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ur java pudding looks lovely. Mind sharing the recipe?

Cranberry said...

Hi puspha,

I did not follow the measurements of the ingreds as stated in the recipe as it looks not ok to me. As I made the batter, I add and mix till i get the right texture but the very important thing is that I forgot to dote down the changes..... few of my forum pals are asking for the recipe too and I have promised them that I will do it again and re-type the recipe for them as soon as I can. Let me see if i can do it this wkend and ve the recipe type it out for you.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Hi,
Is the texture of the pudding like chwee kueh?